I like to watch HGTV. I dream of being in Home Depot and the crew of Bath Crashers ask me if they can come to my house turn my bathroom into a luxury spa. I wish Mike Holmes was my neighbor and I could just keep a running list of things for him to do around the house. And who wouldn't love to have an extra $1M laying around to buy a 2nd/vacation house in the French Riviera like on House Hunters International? Once I realize that none of these things will ever happen to me, I figure I have to take matters in my own hands and do what I can, with what I have. After gathering ideas from the shows, I like to bounce them off of Chris to see what he thinks.
J: What do you think about knocking a wall down and making this room bigger?
C: Flashes me the "we have no idea how to do that look"
J: It really could open up the living space. We could increase the value of our house.
C: No.
I press on.
J: I think I could make a gazebo for the backyard so we have shade to sit under.
C. Flashes me the "are you crazy look"
J: I have my pink screw driver, I could totally do this. Having a calming backyard is inviting for guests and buyers.
C: No.
Relentless.
J: How about we tear up the back porch and replace with large stones?
C: Flashes me the "I've got to get HGTV channel taken off of our TV, pronto"
J: I saw a guy do it in a few days, we can knock it our in a few hours.
C: No.
Once in a blue moon, Chris will bite at one of my ideas. This weekend, I got approval for one of my ideas. Granted this wasn't a major project where we have contractors running through our house for a few months, but one that I thought of and he liked. Armed with $30 worth of painting supplies, I took to the front yard and repainted the shutters on the house. Taking them from from dull brown to jet black added at least $10,000 to the resale value of our house. At least.
I'm off to watch HGTV to get my next idea. Give me a little more time and I'll get that wall knocked down and a gazebo for the backyard. He'll cave, I just know it.
We should really coordinate our grand home ideas - I blame newborns for the HGTV fix - what else is there to watch at 1:30AM and 4:30AM. Chris is like Grant, way too practical and fiscally responsible for my liking.
ReplyDeletePS - how adorable is Matt from Bath Crashers?