A few months ago, my Mom passed down an heirloom to me. When she was younger, her neighbor, Annie Blake, gave her a sewing machine. According to my Mom, Annie Blake (I've never heard my Mom say just her first name, it's always her whole name, "Annie Blake"), could sew and make just about anything. She made all of my Mom's doll's clothes, which my Mom still has, because "Annie Blake made them and I'm never getting rid of them." The sewing machine sat in my Noni's (Grandma) basement until my parents got married and then it was moved to my parent's house. This means, that I have seen this sewing machine ever since I can remember. Yes, I've seen my Mom use it every once in a while, but with 3 kids, she never really had the time to dive in and learn how to use it to it's fullest potential.....hence, handing it down to me. Keep in mind, this machine is an antique. If it was Annie Blake's, then my Mom's, now mine, you know "she's" been around for a while. To be exact, it's a 1958 Singer
Slant-O-Matic Special (Google it, I didn't make this up, folks.) Cute Annie Blake (I've never met her, but can only imagine her to be as cute as a button making doll clothes for my Mom's dolls) kept this thing in perfect condition...even kept the owner's manual (see a-mazing pictures below complete with 1958 Singer illustrations). Anyway, forgive my rambling, this year for Christmas, Santa (boy, he sure does know me well) gave me the perfect gift to accompany my new machine....sewing school!! Many of you may know that I attempted sewing school in early 2010, but it was hard to iron while on crutches (knee injury from ski accident) and was so tired every night (pregnant with Marie) that I dropped out. Well, I'm back, and ready to get my sew on! I knew that before I started my sewing school, I wanted my Mom to come over and teach me how to use the 'ol
Slant-O-Matic Special. I'm happy to report, my lesson was today and I passed with flying colors. Still have a lot to learn from the totally outdated, yet hilarious manual, but when I'm good and ready, I hope to make Annie Blake proud.
 |
| "What model is this," you ask? "Why, it's the 1958 Singer Slant-O-Matic Special , of course." |
 |
| Copyright @ 1958 = awesome. |
 |
Illustration from owner's manual.....a real sewing circle!
This is how I picture Annie Blake, gabbing with her girlfriends about certain stitches and hems. |
No comments:
Post a Comment