Some people say that the Nanny and I look alike. Grocery store clerks, waitresses, they all ask if we're twins. People do double-takes in crowds. Chinese tourists took our pictures thinking we were twins. It's crazy. Truth be told, we are 3.5 years apart (I'll let you figure out who is older). When we were younger, no one ever mentioned anything about us looking alike. Ever. I guess now that we're older, we're starting to morph into twins. Who knows, maybe we should take this act on the road....."Twins, But One Stayed In 3.5 Years Longer To Cook". (Ellen - call us, we could use a weekend to LA, plus a trip on an All-Twins Cruise.) Of course, people who know us, can obviously tell us apart. That is for one person...Adam. Our nephew Adam is having a tough time figuring out who we are. We could stand next to each other and ask him what my name is that he'll reply "Aunt Lori". Cute. When Lori walks in the door, he'll yell "Aunt Julie, where's Chris?!" We'll let this slide though, he is only 3 yrs old.
Although the looking alike has just recently started, we've always sounded alike. I can remember calling home: "Hi Mom, how are you?" To her reply of "Lori? Julie? Who is this? Oh, I can never tell you apart!" This happened all the time....actually just happened yesterday. I'm just going to start replying "Mom, who do you want to talk to?" or "Which one is your favorite?" (To which she'll probably answer "Eric".) #1 item on Mom's Christmas List: Caller ID.
Just when you think everyone knows how to tell us apart by sight and sound, yesterday I received a phone call. Here was the conversation:
Julie - Hello?
Lisa - Someone wants to sing a song to you.
Julie - OK, let's hear it.
Madelyn - Hello?
Julie - Hi Madelyn, I hear you have a song to sing?
Madelyn - Yes, you ready?
Julie - Go for it!
At this point, Madelyn proceeds to sing the Star Spangled Banner (in it's entirety...).
Julie - WHOA, that was really good!!
Madelyn - Thanks.
Julie - Did you learn that in school?
Madelyn - Wait, is this Aunt Lori?
Julie - No, it's me, Aunt Julie!
Madelyn - Oh, you sound alot like Aunt Lori all of the sudden.
Julie - Yep, I get that all the time.
Now I must admit, when Madelyn was younger, she never had trouble figuring out who Lori and I were. I guess we're in for a few years of her trying to figure us out by sound.
To Adam and Madelyn (and Mom): Give it some time, you'll learn who we are. Promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment