Monday, November 7, 2011

Me and Matt

This morning on The Today Show, Matt Lauer began his week of "Where In The World Is Matt Lauer?"  Although I sensed that he isn't too fond of this week (traveling to a different country each day for a week would wear on anyone), I still love it!  I love to learn about new places and also love to see if I've been to any of the destinations in my travels.  Turning on TV today to discover that he was in Namibia, Africa was like taking a trip down memory lane.  I traveled to Namibia in 2007, shortly after my Dad passed away.  I was fortunate enough to have a great tour guide (a colleague, Jac, that I've worked with over the years in South Africa is actually from Namibia, so he took me around and showed me everything!) I totally agree with Mr. Lauer when he said "this is one the most amazing countries I've ever been to!" 

4-wheeling in the sand dunes?  OK!

Learning about lizards in the desert?  Check! 
PS: this was the same guide on The Today Show walking barefoot in the desert letting lizards bite his fingers!

Sand dunes everywhere you look...and the brave tourists who climbed them.
PS: I am not in the picture, I'm taking it.  I'm the smart one in this scenario.

Sossusvlei, Namib Dessert
This exact spot was the one place where I experienced the hottest climate ever.
I could literally feel my skin bubbling and never sweat so much in my entire life.
Sidenote: Jac and I went for lunch after visiting Sossusvlei.  Naturally, in the desert, there isn't much selection in food choices, so we ate at the one restaurant serving a buffet.  Menu that day: hot lasagna.  Um, no thanks.

Flying over the Skeleton Coast.
Matt is right, ship wrecks everywhere....and those Namibian seals really do STINK!

Don't tell my Mom, but I was "co-pilot" on the flight.
Actually, sitting up front was on the only seat available due to our luggage.
It was the smallest plane I've ever flown in.

Rare watering hole in Etosha National Park.

Meeting a family of elephants.  Yes, I'm taking this picture from inside the jeep.
We really are THAT close!

On this trip, Jac and I checked out several lodges and resorts for possible incentive trip locations.  When he told me "we're going to sleep in a tent one night, and up in a tree another night", I was a little leary.  But after looking at the accomodations, I knew I'd be ok.
My "tent".

Inside "the tent".  Pretty rustic huh?

Bathroom inside "the tent"....the nerve of him letting me "rough it" like this.

My "tree house" (2 of them in the distance).

Inside "my treehouse".  This was a little scary for me because:
1. Cats can climb trees.
2. Cheetahs are cats.
3. Cheetas are found in Namibia.
Luckily, I didn't have to use my "someone rescue me" blow horn at night. 

The last resort we checked out....bar tables in the pool?  Sign me up!
 Ohh, I wonder where Matt is headed tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment