Sunday, May 12, 2013

Project: Backyard.....Day 1 & 2: MUD

On Thursday morning at 8:00am, I had a knock at my door.  My first thought, "thank God I'm dressed", quickly ran into my second thought of "who in the world is this!?"    When I opened the door and saw 2 men with a bobcat and shovels, I knew that it was THE day.  Remember the Great Wall of Ballwin project our neighbors did last year?  Well, this year, it's our turn....we are having the lower section of our yard turned into a retaining wall.  We signed a contract about a month ago, but never heard back on when the project would actually start.  Hence, my shock when I saw the men at my door, ready to start working.  If you don't live in St. Louis (as many of our blog readers are from all over the world), you may not know that last week (starting on Thursday) we had some rain.   Let's do a little math:  Rain + men with bobcat tearing up your backyard = M.U.D.  It's everywhere.  And I'm not sure if you've ever smelled back fill dirt that has turned into mud, but it's awful.  Smells like something died in our backyard.  As much as we are excited to have the project start, it's thrown off our whole week.  I need to stick around the house so that I can be available if they have questions.  As much as I don't like being a prisoner in our muddy home, Marie loves it.  Waves to the guys, runs from the back window to the front window following the bobcat around and yelling "HEY, WHO MADE THIS MESS?" When this project is complete, we will have gained 7 feet of yard and it'll be a whole new yard.  We can't wait!!!

Before....hard to believe that lower portion is 14 feet deep!

Rotten railroad ties were behind the picket fence.

Mud.

Our driveway...ugh.

Making friends...

Fun in the bobcat, with the help of PawPaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment